Google Analytics helps you gauge the usage of the self-service modals by tracking customers as they move through the pages, triggering events. You'll see these events logged in real-time, helping understand your customers across different devices, platforms, and more.
1. To integrate Billsby with Google Analytics, you must have already setup and configured your Google Analytics account, including your GA property.
2. Install the Google Tag (gtag.js) on your website.
Using Universal Analytics?
Our integration only supports Google Analytics 4, not Universal Analytics. Make sure any new properties are created in GA4 and existing properties have been migrated to GA4 to ensure your data is passed correctly. You can find more details on migrating an existing UA property to GA4 here.
Billsby integrates with Google Analytics using the Measurement ID of your property's data steam.
The Google Analytics integration tracks the usage of our self-service checkout and account management modals. Events will be logged whenever these modals are opened for your company, this includes instances where the modal is loaded from within email notifications, or from inside the Billsby control panel. If you'd like to filter out internal traffic, you can read more here
1. To integrate your Google Analytics account with Billsby, copy the Measurement ID for your property's data stream. In Google Analytics 4, your Measurement ID will start with 'G-'
You can find instructions on how to locate your Measurement ID here
2. Navigate to the Settings > Configuration > Checkout and account management > Google Analytics menu and copy your Measurement ID into the Google Analytics code field.
Then click the Update code button to save changes.
You should see visitors and traffic data from Billsby being synced to your GA account in real-time. However, it can take up to 24 hours for the data to show in your reports.
When customers are redirected to Billsby's checkout modal, they move from your domain to Billsy's domain.
For example: you have the Billsby self-service checkout modal embedded into your website > A customer visits your website, then clicks a Subscribe button that opens the Billsby checkout modal.
Events across different domains should be collected automatically, however if you find events are not being collected, you can manually configure the tag settings for your property to include Billsby's domain. Instructions on setting up cross-domain tracking can be found here
- In Admin, click Data Streams in the Property column of your GA account.
- Click Web and then click the web data stream for your website where the Billsby self-service checkout modal is embedded.
- In the web stream details, click Configure tag settings (at the bottom).
- In the Settings section, click Configure your domains.
- Under Include domains that match ANY of the following conditions:
- Choose the Contains match type.
- Under Domain, enter Billsby's domain URL ''billsby.com"
- Click Save.
- Copy the Management ID for the data stream
- Navigate to Billsby control pannel Settings > Configuration > Checkout and account management settings > Google Analytics
- Paste the Management ID into the Google Analytics code field
- Click Update code
Referral traffic is any traffic that is brought to your site from another source To ensure data is being reported correctly in GA, it is important to exclude traffic from within your own site so that it doesn't trigger a new session or categorize conversions from your site as a referral.
Ensure that you add your website's domain name and also the Billsby domain (billsby.com) under the unwanted referrals list.
You can find more instructions on configuring unwanted referrals here
Once you have configured your integration, you should see events being passed into Google Analytics 4 if they've been triggered. In the table below you'll find all of the Billsby events customers can trigger.
Please note that some events are automatically collected by GA. These events are triggered by basic interactions with any app and/or site, including the Billsby self-service checkout and account management modals. You can find all of GA's automatically collected events here
|Event type||Event name||Triggered when|
|GA Recommended / ecommerce||purchase||A subscription has been created through the Billsby checkout modal.|
*This event contains parameters including purchase data relating to the subscription.
|Custom event / Billsby checkout||created_subscription||A subscription has been created through the Billsby checkout modal.|
|Custom event / Billsby checkout and Billsby account management||updated_payment_details||A customer's payment details are updated through the Billsby self-service modals.|
|Custom event / Billsby account management||cancelled_subscription||A subscription is cancelled through the Billsby account management modal.|
|Custom event / Billsby account management||changed_plan||A subscription's plan is changed through the Billsby account management modal.|
|Custom event / Billsby account management||updated_subscription||A subscription is updated through the Billsby account management modal.|
'Billsby_checkout' type events mentioned above do not include any additional parameters data relating to the individual customer or subscription.
This table lists the additional parameters passed as part of the purchase event.
|Parameter name||Example value||Description|
|currency||USD||The currency the invoice was issued in 3-letter ISO 4217 format|
|transaction_id||VND7Q050WK||The unique id of the purchased subscription via Billsby checkout|
|value||100.59||The formatted amount of the invoice (i.e. $10 will show as 10.00)|
|items||Array of item (plan, addon, setup fee) details ordered via Billsby checkout. Each element is listed separately as an individual item|
Each array element for items includes the following:
|item_id||1234||The id of the plan or addon in Billsby.|
If item is a setup fee, this parameter should not be sent.
|item_name||Gold Plan||Name of the plan/ addon in Billsby.|
If the item is a setup fee, the value will always be 'setupFee'
|item_category||plan||The category of the item. This will always be either 'plan' or 'addon' depending on the item purchased.|
|item_list_name||Billsby_checkout||The item list name will always be set to 'Billsby_checkout'|
|price||90.00||The total price of the plan/addon/setup fee (formatted)|
Value depends on the pricing model of the item in Billsby.
Flat fee: The flat price of the plan/addon. (Setup fees are always charged as a Flat fee)
Per unit: The price per unit of the plan/addon.
Volume: The price of the tier the quantity falls under.
Tiered and Ranged: the price of an average unit of the plan/addon. Calculated by taking the price of plan/addon divided by the quantity purchased.
|quantity||1||The quantity of units of the product/addon purchased.|
If using a Flatfee pricing model, the value will always be set to 1.
- The Google Analytics integration will only track the usage of the self-service modals. Data generated via the API or Billsby control panel will not trigger events in GA.
- Even though data is synced to Google Analytics in real-time, it may take up to 24 hours for the data to show in your reports.
- Customers using an ad blocker or limiting cookies may prevent data from being tracked.
- Events can only be triggered on specific pages of the self-service checkout and account management modals, these pages are listed below:
|Account Management||View and change subscription|
|Account Management||Address details|
|Account Management||Contact details|
|Account Management||Update payment details|
|Account Management||Manage coupons|
|Account Management||Manage add-ons|
|Account Management||Manage allowances|
|Account Management||View billing history|
|Account Management||Cancel subscription|
Updated 14 days ago